Tiny House Events
Stay informed about upcoming community events all over the country and world.
Tiny Home Festivals, Documentary Showings, Advocacy Meetings, Workshops & MORE!
- This event has passed.
Tiny Home Design and Building Education Weekend
September 12, 2020 @ 9:00 am - September 13, 2020 @ 5:00 pm$299
An innovative tiny home design and building education weekend, geared toward those interested in basic construction knowledge, building design, healthy homes, and alternative small dwellings.
Over two days, participants will learn the “nuts and bolts” of how to design and build their very own tiny house. During this course, we will discuss trailer (foundation) options, floor plans, legalities, and living systems. Students will be walked through the steps of construction and will learn many do’s and dont’s that will save them grief and money.
Learn how to design your tiny house in a healthy way for you and for the planet. How to save energy, lower your build costs, and be totally tailored to YOUR dreams and needs. The workshop is geared to all skill levels, from custom builders to those who are just beginning their tiny house research journey. We will arm you with all the information you need to avoid pitfalls and get a smooth start! “Fail to plan or plan to fail”.
For more information: www.tinyhealthyhomes.com
This introductory workshop is a survey of all the main basics, including:
- Pros and cons of tiny living
- The types of tiny homes and how to choose the right one for you
- The basic “rules” of tiny houses, including sizes, lengths, and other limitations
- Your dream floor plan and how to lay it out in scale
- Technical topics like orientation, climate, weight, structure, insulation, vapor barriers, and house wraps, ventilation, and non-toxic finishes
- How to plan your project like a master, and know what to do first, second, third…
- Mechanical topics like heat, water, waste, and electricity
- Construction basics, structural, framing, flooring, windows and doors, roofing, and so on!
About the instructor:
Your instructor is Ben Garratt, has been designing, building, and running tiny house workshops for many years. Ben has over 20-years of construction experience and has built more than 30x Tiny houses. He incorporates engaging visual presentations, videos, and hands-on activities. Students will learn step-by-step every aspect needed to design and build their dream small space.